Saturday, 12th October 2019, 9:30 to 4.00 pm (1/2 hr lunch break)
BIALA PENINSULA – 1 Elizabeth Street Mornington
$176.00/per person (inclusive), $82.50/per person (inclusive) - special rate for current Biala Peninsula parents
Light refreshments, morning & afternoon tea
“Getting Started with Key Word Sign” - Book
Certificate of Attendance
Please bring ‘BYO Lunch’ on the day
Available on-site car parking - Book early - limited places
What is Key Word Sign?
Key Word Sign is a method of using sign and gesture in conjunction with speech. It is used with people who have complex communication needs. Key Word Sign uses Auslan signs with speech.
Why use Key Word Sign?
Key Word Sign is useful for toddlers, pre-school children, school-aged children and adults. Key Word Sign may be used for a number of reasons:
· Until speech develops – the person is able to communicate through signing whilst speech and language skills continue to develop
· As a supplement to speech – where the person’s speech is difficult to understand, the use of sign and gesture can assist
· As an alternative to speech – signing is an effective means of communication in the absence of speech
· As a temporary means of communication
· As a means to help comprehension
Who can benefit from a Key Word Sign Workshop?
Key word Sign Workshops are suitable for those who need to teach and use signing with people who have a severe communication impairment.
· Parents & Carers
· Kindergarten and childcare staff
· Teachers & Education Assistants
· Supported employment staff
· Speech Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists & Social Workers
· Disability Support Workers
What’s in the workshop?
The Key Word Sign workshop covers:
· How does signing support communication development
· Which signs to teach
· How to teach signing
· Principles of key word sign & Gestures
· A basic vocabulary of signs