Facilitator: Jacqui Zuidema, Early Childhood Intervention Teacher
What is Key Word Sign?
Key Word Sign is a method of using sign and gesture in conjunction with speech. It is used with people who have complex communication needs. Key Word Sign uses Auslan signs with speech.
Who can benefit from a Key Word Sign Workshop?
Key word Sign Workshops are suitable for those who need to teach and use signing with people who have a severe communication impairment.
- Parents & Carers
- Kindergarten and childcare staff
- Teachers & Education Assistants
- Supported employment staff
- Speech Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists & Social Workers
- Disability Support Workers
What’s in the workshop?
The Key Word Sign workshop covers:
- How signing supports communication development
- Which signs to teach
- How to teach signing
- Principles of key word sign & gestures
- A basic vocabulary of signs